Do You Have A Gummy Smile? We Can Help
What is a gummy smile?
A ‘gummy smile’ occurs when a larger than normal amount of gum tissue is exposed during a smile.
A gum display or what is referred to as a ‘gummy smile’ occurs when a larger than normal amount of gum tissue is show and exposed during a smile, which may be unsightly in certain situations
A gummy smile often occurs when:
- The upper lip has a problem and cannot cover the gum
- There are issues with muscle contraction and the muscles controlling the upper lip may be hyperactive
- The jaw bone has not developed as is required
- There may be an issue with the development of the gums themselves or the teeth (or both)
How can a gummy smile be treated?
As the condition can be a result of a few different factors, you must consult with a certified and experienced dentist who may need to take some x-rays and perform various tests.
Available treatment options will address different aspects of the condition in relation to complexity, expected outcomes and costs. These options can include:
- Orthodontics (e.g braces)
- Reshaping and crowning of the teeth
- Cosmetic Injectables
If you are a looking to correct any part of your gums, lips or teeth to assist with a gummy smile, make sure you book in for a consultation with Dr Audrey Hii today to discuss the best treatment for you.