Do You Have A Gummy Smile? We Can Help
What is a gummy smile?
A ‘gummy smile’ occurs when a larger than normal amount of gum tissue is exposed during a smile.
A gum display or what is referred to as a ‘gummy smile’ occurs when a larger than normal amount of gum tissue is show and exposed during a smile, which may be unsightly in certain situations
A gummy smile often occurs when:
- The upper lip has a problem and cannot cover the gum
- There are issues with muscle contraction and the muscles controlling the upper lip may be hyperactive
- The jaw bone has not developed as is required
- There maybe an issues with the development of the gums themselves or the teeth (or both)
How can a gummy smile be treated?
As the condition can be a result of a few different factors, it is important that you consult with a certified and experienced dentist who may need to take some xrays and perform various tests.
Available treatment options will address different aspects of the condition in relation to complexity, expected outcomes and costs. These options can include:
- Orthodontics (e.g braces)
- Reshaping and crowning of the teeth
- Cosmetic Injectables
If you are a looking to correct any part of your gums, lips or teeth to assist with a gummy smile, make sure you book in for a consultation with Dr Audrey Hii today to discuss the best treatment for you.