Do You Have A Gummy Smile? We Can Help
What is a gummy smile?
An attractive smile is considered to be a smile where the top lip raised to display that persons front teeth and sometimes a small amount of gum.
A gum display or what is referred to as a ‘gummy smile’ occurs when a larger than normal amount of gum tissue is show and exposed during a smile, which may be unsightly in certain siautions
A gummy smile often occurs when:
- The upper lip has a problem and cannot cover the gum
- There are issues with muscle contraction and the muscles controlling the upper lip may be hyperactive
- The jaw bone has not developed as is required
- There maybe an issues with the development of the gums themselves or the teeth (or both)
How can a gummy smile be treated?
As the condition can be a result of a few different factors, it is important that you consult with a certified and experienced dentist who may need to take some xrays and perform various tests.
If, after a detailed consultation, treatment is then suggested as the best course of action, then there a range of options that can be discussed, all depending on each patients individual circumstance and situation.
Available treatment options will address different aspects of the condition in relation to complexity, expected outcomes and costs. These options can include:
- Surgical repositioning of the upper lip
- Surgical alterations to the jaw bone
- Laser or surgical resculpting of the gums
- Orthodontics (e.g braces)
- Reshaping and crowning of the teeth
- Cosmetic Injectables
Please do not hesitate any further, if you are a looking to correct any part of your gums, lips or teeth to assist with a gummy smile, make sure you book in for a consultation with Dr Audrey Hii today to discuss the best course of action and options for you.